And he put on him the coat, and girded him with the girdle, and clothed him with the robe, and put the ephod on him…
Coat, girdle, robe, ephod, breastplate, Urim and Thum-mim, mitre, golden plate, and crown, - all significant, and fulfilled in Christ. The two main ideas are mediation and government.
I. The high priest is clothed as MEDIATOR.
1. To offer sacrifice for sins.
2. To enter into the presence of Jehovah as intercessor.
3. To obtain and pronounce, as representative, the Divine benediction.
II. The high priest is clothed as KING.
1. With power to guide, counsel, command as an oracle.
2. With exalted personality to receive homage as the king of righteousness, the glory of God revealed.
3. As crowned, to establish and maintain his kingdom among men - ruling their hearts and lives, not by the power of this world, but by the priestly power of fellowship with God, for man is himself made kingly as he is admitted into the innermost chamber of God's presence. - R.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he put upon him the coat, and girded him with the girdle, and clothed him with the robe, and put the ephod upon him, and he girded him with the curious girdle of the ephod, and bound it unto him therewith.