And he said, Certainly I will be with you; and this shall be a token to you, that I have sent you…
Take this assurance as applying to the whole service of sanctified life, and it entitles us to draw four practical inferences.
I. "Certainly I will be with thee." — THEN MAN IS SERVANT NOT MASTER He should know his place, or he can never keep it. As servant, he should —
1. Constantly consult his Master.
2. Constantly speak in the name of his Master.
3. Constantly be jealous of the honour of his Master.
II. "Certainly I will be with thee." — THEN THE WORK MUST SUCCEED. What is the guarantee of success?
1. Not human cleverness; ministers may be clever, so may churches, etc.; we may have learned sermons, able sermons, ingenious sermons, etc.
2. Not skilful organisation. Cards, bazaars, registers, circulars, etc., all useless as ends.
3. The word of the Lord is the guarantee of success. "The mouth of the Lord hath spoken it." "My word shall not return unto Me void."
III. "Certainly I will be with thee." — THEN THE SERVANT IS TO BE RECEIVED FOR THE MASTER'S SAKE. "He that receiveth you receiveth Me, and he that receiveth Me receiveth Him that sent Me." The true minister carries a blessing with him. The Romans were to receive Phoebe in the Lord. What a lesson to ministers — they are representatives of God!
IV. "Certainly I will be with thee." — THEN THERE NEED BE NO LACK OF GRACE OR POWER. "If any man lack wisdom," etc. "Lo, I am with you alway," etc. "Ye have not because ye ask not, or because ye ask amiss." The servants may take counsel of one another, but not to the interruption of continuous and trustful prayer to the Master.
1. God is with His servants for their comfort.
2. For their guidance.
3. For their safety.Application: Notice —
1. The individuality of the promise, "I will be with thee" — with the one man.
2. The emphasis of the premise — "Certainly." Who is with us in our life-ministry?
(J. Parker, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.