All the firstling males that come of your herd and of your flock you shall sanctify to the LORD your God…
The solution of the apparent discrepancy between this passage and Numbers 18:18 seems to lie in the custom of inviting the worshippers to share in the feasts provided by their offerings. View the sanctification of the firstlings as symbolical.
1. Of God's claim on the first and choicest of what we have for his own service.
(1) Of our property.
(2) Of our affections.
(3) Of our powers of body and mind.
2. Of God's right to redeemed life. The firstlings were redeemed by God for himself on the memorable night of the deliverance from Egypt (Exodus 13:12). God claims redeemed life as peculiarly his own (Isaiah 43:1-4; 1 Corinthians 6:20).
3. Of God's right to young life. A symbol of early consecration.
4. Of happy fellowship with God. The fellowship was a fruit of the dedication of the best. - J.O.
Parallel VersesKJV: All the firstling males that come of thy herd and of thy flock thou shalt sanctify unto the LORD thy God: thou shalt do no work with the firstling of thy bullock, nor shear the firstling of thy sheep.
WEB: All the firstborn males that are born of your herd and of your flock you shall sanctify to Yahweh your God: you shall do no work with the firstborn of your herd, nor shear the firstborn of your flock.