2 Peter 3:15-16
And account that the long-suffering of our Lord is salvation…
I. THE FACT OF THE LONGSUFFERING OF GOD. Sentence of condemnation is not speedily executed. The blessings of health and prosperity often accompany the sinner all through his course of rebellion. The patience of God appears inexhaustible.
II. THE GENEROUS OBJECT OF GOD'S LONGSUFFERING.
1. God bears with transgressors not because He is ignorant of their actions.
2. Not because He is indifferent to their actions.
3. Not because He wants the power "to avenge Him of His adversaries."
4. God bears with sinners because His name and His nature is love.
(1) It is the actual design of God by this longsuffering to bring men to salvation.
(2) The tendency of this longsuffering, as well as God's design, is to salvation.
(3) The actual effect of this longsuffering on the part of God is salvation. But though the longsuffering of God be thus designed to be salvation, yet "the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night." There is a period to the Divine patience.
(G. T. Noel, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;