The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.
I. TO PROMOTE OUR SALVATION FROM THE DOMINION AND CONSEQUENCES OF SIN, WE ARE GRACIOUSLY FAVOURED OF GOD WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS.
1. The teaching of His Gospel. By it we are instructed concerning —
(1) The necessity of salvation.
(2) The provision of salvation.
(3) The method of salvation.
2. Warnings of His providence.
(1) Jehovah warns by dreadful calamities.
(2) By prevailing sickness and disease.
(3) By sudden death.
3. Influence of His Spirit.
(1) Convincing men of the evil of sin.
(2) Drawing men from sin.
(3) Reproving men for sin.
4. Labours of faithful ministers.
II. TO PROMOTE OUR SALVATION, WE ARE NOT ONLY FAVOURED OF GOD WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS, BUT ALSO WITH NUMEROUS GRACIOUS SEASONS AND FAVOURABLE OPPORTUNITIES.
1. A summer season of youth.
2. Summer seasons of affliction. They afford opportunities for solemn thought, holy meditation, serious inquiry, important reflection, and faithful self-examination.
3. Summer season of special visitations of grace.
III. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS AND FAVOURABLE OPPORTUNITIES TO PASS AWAY, AND LEAVE MAN A STRANGER TO SALVATION.
1. The Word of God asserts the truth.
2. Numerous facts establish the truth.
IV. THE STATE OF THOSE WHO ARE NOT SAVED BY GRACE IS MOST DEPLORABLE AND PERILOUS.
1. unsaved state is a state of guilt.
2. An unsaved state is a state of misery.
3. An unsaved state is a state of danger.
V. APPLY THESE IMPORTANT TRUTHS. In doing so, we would consider the language of this Scripture as the language of —
1. Penitential regret — for having abused such precious blessings, and neglected such favourable opportunities.
2. Awakened fear — the fear of a person who discovers his danger, and is concerned about it.
3. Serious inquiry. "Can I, after abusing so much goodness — after placing myself in such circumstances of jeopardy, yet obtain salvation?" Thanks to the long-suffering grace of God, it is possible.
4. Affectionate warning. Your privileges are passing away — your time is consuming — your careless conduct is inexcusable — and your eternal destiny will soon be fixed.
Parallel VersesKJV: The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.