Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
I. WHY our Lord was tempted.
1. "Wherefore in all things it behoved Him to be made like unto His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest," etc.
2. To convey to all His people an assurance that there is a limit to the power of Satan.
II. How our Lord was tempted.
1. The time selected.
2. The circumstances skilfully adapted to the temptation.
III. How TO OVERCOME temptations.
1. To have God's Word in our hearts.
2. To have God's fear before our eyes.
(D. Moore, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.