2 Peter 3:18
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
I. A SENSE OF INSUFFICIENCY IS AN INDISPENSABLE PREREQUISITE TO GROWTH IN GRACE.
II. BUT A SELF-RENOUNCING DEPENDENCE ON DIVINE HELP MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO SUPERSEDE OR TO SLACKEN YOUR OWN ENDEAVOURS.
III. GROWTH IN GRACE IS A PROCESS WHICH CANNOT GO ON WITHOUT SOONER OR LATER MANIFESTING ITSELF BY ITS FRUITS.
1. A growing reliance on Christ.
2. Increasing power over temptation.
3. The increasing influence of conscience.
4. Increasing disinterestedness of religious feeling.
5. Increased complacency in thinking of death and eternity.
(J. M. McCulloch, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.