2 Peter 3:18
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
I. THE SEVERAL STEPS AND STAGES OF THE CHRISTIAN'S PROGRESS.
II. THE NECESSITY AND ADVANTAGE OF THIS GROWTH AND IMPROVEMENT.
1. That our sincerity in religion can no otherwise be well approved.
2. Our perseverance cannot be ensured whilst we are at a stand.
3. As grace is the seed of glory, that seed must rise by gradual advances to its full maturity.
III. SOME OF THE MEANS WHEREBY WE ALL MAY BE THUS BUILT UP.
1. Since those habits of virtue which are essential to our improvement are contracted by a frequent repetition of single acts, let us by all means cherish the opportunities of exerting those acts.
2. Therefore we should work up our minds to a full persuasion that religion is the most important business of our lives.
(N. Marshall, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.