Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God…
I. To ILLUSTRATE THIS BY SOME SIMILITUDES OUT OF SCRIPTURE.
1. The perfection and order of the world is compared to the body of a man (1 Corinthians 12:12).
2. It is compared to an host or army (Genesis 2:1).
3. It is compared to a curious house (Job 38:4-6).
II. WHEREIN THIS ORDER AND BEAUTY OF THE WORLD DOTH CONSIST.
1. In the wonderful multitude and variety of creatures, distributed into so many several excellent natures and forms, they all do proclaim the beauty and order of the whole world.
2. The beauty and artificial composition of all things.
3. The disposition and apt placing of all things.
4. The wonderful consent of all the parts, and the proportion they bear one to another.
5. The mutual ministry and help of the creatures one to another.
6. The wise government and conservation of all things according to the rules and laws of creation.
III. IF GOD MADE THE WORLD IN SUCH HARMONY AND ORDER, WHENCE CAME ALL THOSE DISORDERS THAT ARE IN THE WORLD? We see some creatures are ravenous; other creatures are poisonous; all are frail, and still decaying and hasting to their own ruin. Whence come murrains, sicknesses, and diseases? Whence come such dislocations, and unjointings of nature by tempests and earthquakes? All these confusions and disorders of nature are the effects of sin. Our sins are as a secret fire that hath melted and burnt asunder the secret ties and confederations of nature.
1. It discovers the glory of God. The whole world is but God's shop, where are the masterpieces of His wisdom and majesty; these are seen very much in the order of causes, and admirable contrivance of the world.
(1) The wisdom of God and His counsel is mightily seen. The world is not a work of chance, but of counsel and rare contrivance.
(2) The majesty and greatness of God.
2. It showeth us the excellency of order; how pleasing order and method is to God: God hath always delighted in it. All order is from God; but all discord and confusion is from the devil. Order is pleasing to Him in the state and civil administrations in the Church, and in the course of your private conversations.
3. It discovers the odiousness of sin that disjointed the frame of nature.
(T. Manton, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.