Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
1. In order that the reality and glory of His Sonship might be made manifest.
2. That He might redeem man from the evil to which he was subjected by the fall of the first Adam.
3. That He might become experimentally acquainted with the evil of sin.
4. The temptation of our Lord was a chief element in His sufferings for us as our Mediator.
5. Evil is compelled to glorify God.
(Norman Macleod, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.