I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come to the Gentiles…
To be prepared for this office we must —
1. Seek to possess ourselves with the most just and influential apprehensions of its nature and high designs.
2. Cherish a devout persuasion of its efficacy.
3. Endeavour to imbibe and visibly to cultivate the spirit appropriate to its discharge.
4. Give to its fulfilment the unreserved and constant dedication of our highest powers. This must appear under the form of
(2) Public labour.
(3) Private assiduity.
5. Continue in the course thus described —
(1) With perseverance and watchfulness unto the end.
(2) With a meek endurance of every trial and privation to which it may expose us.
(3) With cheerful making of every sacrifice necessary to its fulfilment.
6. Cultivate habitual and solemn anticipations of its issues.
(R. M'All, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.