For I would not, brothers, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own conceits…
I. BECAUSE IT IS PREDICTED —
1. By Paul (ver. 25). Their blindness is partial and temporary.
2. By the Old Testament prophets (vers. 26, 27). They shall acknowledge Christ and share in the promise of the new covenant.
II. BECAUSE THE GIFTS AND CALLING OF GOD ARE WITHOUT REPENTANCE.
1. Their exclusion is for a temporary purpose.
2. Their election permanent.
3. The purpose of God unalterable (vers. 28, 29).
III. BECAUSE OF GOD'S PLAN OF PROCEDURE WITH THE GENTILES.
1. Once excluded by their own unbelief.
2. Now accepted through the unbelief of Israel.
3. So they also shall obtain mercy.
4. That God may have mercy upon all.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
WEB: For I don't desire you to be ignorant, brothers, of this mystery, so that you won't be wise in your own conceits, that a partial hardening has happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in,