1 Corinthians 1:17-31
For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words…
I. SCHOLASTIC PREACHING, which —
1. Aims only at the intellect, not at the heart.
2. Gives no satisfaction on the main point — religion.
3. Deals with philosophical speculations which injure rather than edify.
II. RHETORICAL PREACHING.
1. Which proceeds not from a zeal for the truth, but from a desire to please.
2. This unworthy mode of dealing with Divine truth robs the Cross of its effect, because it diverts the attention from the truth to the speaker and distracts the heart — because it excites a craving for merely intellectual gratification — because the impression produced is referred to the ability of the preacher and not to the truth itself.
(J. Lyth, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.