Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in the lusts thereof.
I. ITS ELEMENTS.
1. Subjection of natural lusts.
2. Renunciation of the service of sin.
3. Consecration of all the powers to God.
II. ITS POSSIBILITY (ver. 14). As Christians —
1. We are not under the law.
2. But under grace.
3. Consequently receive dominion over sin.
III. ITS INDISPENSABLE NECESSITY. Because —
1. Grace requires it.
2. Practice determines to whom we belong.
3. Obedience is the perfection of righteousness.
(J. Lyth, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.