For our conversation is in heaven; from where also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ:…
I. OUR CITIZENSHIP.
1. Its nature.
2. Its immunities.
3. Its responsibilities.
II. OUR PRIVILEGE.
1. Citizens of no mean city.
2. The foundation of outright.
3. Its advantages.
III. OUR DUTY.
1. To cultivate heavenly dispositions, affections, habits.
2. To glory in our privileges and prospects.
3. To labour for the enlargement of heaven.
IV. OUR HOPE — the coming of Christ.
1. From whence? Heaven.
3. What for?
(1) To destroy His foes.
(2) To save His people and introduce them to heaven.
4. Its certainty established by
(1) His own promise.
(2) The general testimony of revelation.
(3) The purpose of God.
5. Its anticipation.
(1) A duty.
(2) Supposes faith, fitness, desire, research, active preparation.
(J. Lyth, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: