I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come to the Gentiles…
I. TEMPORARY (vers. 11-16).
1. It was overruled for the benefit of the world, because in consequence of their unbelief the preachers of the gospel turned to the Gentiles (Acts 13:16).
2. Their fulness —
(1) Must be the occasion of still greater blessing (vers. 12-15).
(2) Must be the reflex effect of the success of the gospel among the Gentiles (vers. 13, 14).
(3) Is guaranteed by the firstfruits (vers. 15, 16).
1. We should not despise but pity them (vers. 17, 18).
2. Their fall —
(1) Is a warning to us (vers. 19-21).
(2) Should excite admiration of the goodness and severity of God (ver. 22).
(3) Should awaken hope and efforts for their recovery.
(J. Lyth, D.D)
Parallel VersesKJV: I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.