But he, willing to justify himself, said to Jesus, And who is my neighbor?…
I. ITS SPHERE OF ACTION.
1. On whom it is exercised. On those who stand in need of it.
2. How far it reaches. To all.
II. ITS NATURE. It is —
1. A feeling.
2. Manifests itself in deeds.
III. ITS WORKING.
1. It gives help instantly and without delay.
3. Does what is required, and as well as it can.
4. Is full of self-denial, for
(1) It fears no dangers;
(2) no troubles;
(3) no cost;
(4) no labour.
5. It is indefatigable, and completes the work.
(F. G. Lisco.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?