Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.
I. CONSIDER ON WHAT ACCOUNTS CHRIST IS ENTITLED TO OUR LOVE.
1. He is a Divine Person.
2. His mediatorial offices entitle Him to our love. A sense of our wants adds worth to an object suited to relieve them. Jesus is such a Saviour as we need.
3. Christ is an object of our love on account of His kindness to us.
II. SINCERITY IS AN ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATION OF OUR LOVE TO CHRIST.
1. Our love to Christ must be real, not pretended.
2. Our love to Christ must be universal; it must respect His whole character.
3. Sincere love to Christ is supreme.
4. Sincere love is persevering.
5. True love to Christ is active. Not a cold and indolent opinion of Him; but such a sensible regard to Him as interests the heart, and influences the life.
III. HOW SINCERE LOVE TO CHRIST WILL DISCOVER ITSELF.
1. It will make us careful to please Him.
2. This holy principle will be accompanied with humility.
3. If we love Christ, we will follow His steps, and walk as He walked.
4. Our love to Him will animate us to promote His interest, and oppose His enemies.
5. This principle will express itself in a devout attendance on His ordinances, especially the Holy Communion, the Sacrament of His love.
6. Love to Christ will make us long for His reappearing.
IV. THE BENEDICTION CONNECTED WITH THIS TEMPER. It is called "grace" - a term of large and glorious import. It comprehends all the blessings which the gospel reveals to the sons of men, and promises to the faithful in Christ.
1. One great privilege contained in this grace is justification before God.
2. Another privilege is the presence of the Divine Spirit.
3. They who love Christ have free access to the throne of grace, and a promise that they shall be heard and accepted there.
4. They who love Christ in sincerity will receive the gift of a happy immortality.
(J. Lathrop, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.