There be many that say, Who will show us any good? LORD, lift you up the light of your countenance on us.
I. WHAT IS THE LIGHT OF GOD'S COUNTENANCE?
1. That we are noticed by the Divine Being. He takes cognisance of your affairs.
2. That He is interested in us, as a father in the doings of his children.
3. That we are the objects and recipients of His favours. He favours our undertakings, circumstances, and conditions.
4. That He approves of our acts — accepts and fills us with peace.
5. That He helps us. God's favour is no empty pretence — His aid comes timely.
6. That He blesses us. His benediction conveys the good.
II. THE RESULTS. It puts "gladness into the heart." Why? Because —
1. It is the countenance of a powerful, wise, omnipotent Being.
2. It is the exuberant gladness — overflowing joy — beyond any worldling's mirth — unending. How disquieted should those be from whom God's face is averted and for whom there is on His countenance a frown!
(William Landels, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.