Thus said the LORD to this people, Thus have they loved to wander, they have not refrained their feet…
I. THE LORD'S ANSWER TO THE PROPHET'S PRAYER.
1. He points to the backsliding of the people, for which He now punishes them.
2. He refuses the prophet's prayer because He loathes the people's soulless fastings and sacrifices.
3. He specifies the means by which He will destroy this backsliding people. Battle. Famine. Pestilence.
II. THE PROPHET RENEWS HIS ENDEAVOURS TO ENTREAT GOD'S FAVOUR.
1. He lays stress on the fact that they had been deceived.
2. But they are not excused on that account; for they gave credit to lies.
(1) God had not commissioned these prophets.
(2) Their easy and willing dupes are condemned to ignoring.
3. Seducers should perish with those they seduced.
Parallel VersesKJV: Thus saith the LORD unto this people, Thus have they loved to wander, they have not refrained their feet, therefore the LORD doth not accept them; he will now remember their iniquity, and visit their sins.
WEB: Thus says Yahweh to this people, Even so have they loved to wander; they have not refrained their feet: therefore Yahweh does not accept them; now he will remember their iniquity, and visit their sins.