Then Moses heard the people weep throughout their families, every man in the door of his tent…
I. THAT THE POSITION OF LEADER OR GOVERNOR OF MEN IS A VERY TRYING ONE.
1. Because of the responsible nature of the duties of leadership.
2. Because of the interest which the true leader takes in his charge.
3. Because of the intractableness of men.
II. THE TRUE LEADER OF MEN MUST OFTEN BE PAINFULLY CONSCIOUS OF HIS INSUFFICIENCY.
III. THE ABLEST AND HOLIEST LEADERS OF MEN SOMETIMES FAIL UNDER THE BURDENS OF THEIR POSITION. Conclusion:
1. Great honours involve great obligations.
2. A man may fail even in the strongest point of his character. Moses was pre-eminently meek, yet here he is petulant, &c. Therefore, "Watch thou in all things," &c.
3. It is the duty of men not to increase, but if possible to lessen the difficulties and trials of leadership.
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Moses heard the people weep throughout their families, every man in the door of his tent: and the anger of the LORD was kindled greatly; Moses also was displeased.