And they shall be as mighty men, which tread down their enemies in the mire of the streets in the battle: and they shall fight…
There is nothing which so emphatically marks and so undoubtedly describes the people of the living God as His own presence with them.
1. The Lord is with His Church relatively. It is only a third part, and perhaps a small third. We might divide our own land into one-third of open enemies, one-third of false professors, and one-third of real Christians. The third part only are really spiritual characters, having the blessing of vital godliness. These shall remain; they shall be "left." God is with them relatively, that is, He is with them in covenant union eternally.
2. The Lord is with His Church experimentally. God has always been with His Church, as a body, and with the individual members.
3. The Lord is with His Church perpetually. It is His promise, "I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world."Consider how this fact that Jehovah is with His people, explains some mysteries. "Because the Lord is with them."
1. Then they shall fight victoriously and successfully. This explains why their enemies cannot destroy them.
2. For this same reason the truth of God must triumph. Note the distinct character of the Church and their destiny, as set forth in this text. Life Divine is a pledge of life eternal. Ii God be with you, your religion is a thing of life. God's yea and amen are stamped upon His people.
Parallel VersesKJV: And they shall be as mighty men, which tread down their enemies in the mire of the streets in the battle: and they shall fight, because the LORD is with them, and the riders on horses shall be confounded.