And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said to him, You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.…
1. Good fathers disdain not the wise and gracious advice of mothers for their children's good.
2. Good men may change their minds upon God's convictions for disposal of blessing.
3. Blessing and command go together from God, by His instruments unto His covenant ones.
4. Matches of the true seed with the idolaters are expressly forbidden by God (ver. 1).
5. Fathers have their due power to dispose of children in marriage.
6. It is good for fathers herein to follow the dictates and guidance of God, to dispose children, where the knowledge of God is (ver. 2.)
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.