And Hamor the father of Shechem went out to Jacob to commune with him.…
1. Sinful indulgent parents cover the foul enormities of rebellious children with fair pretences.
2. Wicked offenders love to be silent as to the confession of their villanies.
3. Lustful love is given out with the very soul, and may continue after violence done, the object abiding.
4. Injurious, violent men may entreat compliance with the afflicted and oppressed ones.
5. Marriage may be desired by wicked adulterers to hide their uncleanness (ver. 8).
6. General overtures of kindness may be made by wicked men of power for their special ends.
7. The world have desired affinity with the Church of God upon design (ver. 9).
8. Worldly powers may court the pilgrim Church to sit down with them for their own advantage.
9. Territories of princes are opened to the sons of the Church to engage them to evil.
10. Free trade, commerce, and possessions, are the baits wherewith worldly powers allure God's servants unto their lusts.
11. Kingdoms and all will lust, part with all, to enjoy its pleasure (ver. 10). So Herod (Mark 6:22, 23).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Hamor the father of Shechem went out unto Jacob to commune with him.