And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.
I. THE BEARING OF THIS FACT ON HIMSELF.
1. It proves the reality of His human nature.
2. It proves that as man He was subject to the same limitations and moral conditions as we are.
3. It proves that even sinless beings, when tried, need Divine help.
II. THE BEARING OF THIS FACT ON US.
1. If Jesus prayed, it is neither unscientific nor unbecoming in us to pray.
2. If Jesus prayed, no disciple can become so strong or holy as to be beyond the need of praying.
3. Prayer has positive power with God, and is more than a subjective influence.
4. If Jesus prayed, all ought and need to pray.
5. Having the name of Jesus to plead, everyone may be assured of being heard and answered.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.