From where come wars and fights among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?…
Prayers miss —
1. Because they are too selfish.
(1) We set a high value on ourselves, and no dependence upon God.
(2) Self seeking is the chief prompting principle.
(3) We lack regard for God's glory and our own good.
(4) We feel not our own need.
2. Because they are too fretful and complaining. Not a grain of praise or thanksgiving.
3. Because they are too indefinite, vague, doubtful, and calculative.
4. Because they are too insincere, too much in a hurry, and irreverent.
5. Because they are too heartless.
(1) The source from which they rise is bad — the heart.
(2) The desire (the very soul of prayer) is worldly. No continuous thought of God.
(3) Soul earnestness is absent. All is cold, lifeless.
Parallel VersesKJV: From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?