And he said to them, Truly I say to you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death…
If any earthly place or condition might have given warrant to Peter's motion, this was it.
1. Here was a hill — the emblem of heaven.
2. Here were two saints — the epitome of heaven.
3. Here was Christ — the God of heaven.
(Bishop Hall.)Peter and his fellows were so taken with the sight of the felicity they saw, that they desired to abide on the mount with Jesus and the saints. What moved them shows what will delight us when this transient world is over, and God will gather His people to Himself.
1. Here was but Hermon; and there will be heaven.
2. Here were but two saints; there, the mighty multitude no man can number.
3. Here was but Christ transfigured; there, He will sit at the right hand of God, enthroned in the majesty of heaven.
4. Here was a representation for a brief interval; there, a gift and permanent possession of blessedness.
(T. M. Lindsay, D. D.)The transfiguration teaches us that
(1) Special manifestations of favour attend entire submission to the Divine will;
(2) outward splendour is the proper accompaniment of inward excellence;
(3) Christ is attested to men as the object of Divine approval and delight;
(4) therefore they should love and trust, honour and obey Him;
(5) first lessons are to be retained, that further may be received;
(6) prophecy teaches that suffering belongs to the present service of God.
(J. H. Godwin.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.