And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about three score furlongs.…
1. It was requisite that Christ should suffer, in order that He might verify His own predictions.
2. A succession of prophets had foretold His sufferings.
3. That the salvation of mankind depended on His death, and could not have been effected without it.
4. The full display of the glorious character of God required that Christ should suffer.
5. A farther end, a subordinate one, I confess, was that Christ, in suffering, might give us an example of holiness and virtue.
(R. Hall, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.