Therefore be you also ready: for in such an hour as you think not the Son of man comes.
I. THE SCRIPTURAL ACCOUNT OF THE UNCERTAINTY OF HUMAN LIFE.
II. INQUIRE HOW THE UNCERTAINTY OF LIFE SO SELDOM LEADS MEN PREPARE FOR LEAVING IT.
1. Want of consideration.
2. Love of this world and its enjoyments.
3. A vague impression that death is a distant event.
III. SOME OF THE COMFORTS AND ADVANTAGES OF BEING PREPARED FOR DEATH.
1. It secures the testimony of a good conscience, connected with the favour of God, and the happiness that results from both.
2. Preparation for death alleviates the afflictions of life, and affords much consolation under them.
3. It frees from slavish fear of that event.
(A. Grant, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.