2 Peter 3:11-18
Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in all holy conversation and godliness,…
I. ZEALOUS AND IN EARNEST AS TO THE CONCERNS OF RELIGION. "What shall it profit a man, if," etc.
II. PENITENT AND BROKEN-HEARTED (Psalm 51:17).
III. BELIEVING ON CHRIST AS SET FORTH IN THE WORD (John 6:27-29).
IV. PATIENT AND RESIGNED. Because —
1. Their sufferings less than they deserve.
2. Christ suffered more for them.
3. They suffer for their profit.
V. BENEVOLENT, CONDESCENDING, AND MERCIFUL. Because Christ has been so to them (2 Corinthians 8:9; 1 John 3:16, 17),
VI. CIRCUMSPECT. Because their danger is great.
VII. GRATEFUL. Because all their blessings are undeserved.
VIII. HOPEFUL. Because what God has done for them ensures everything.
IX. READY FOR THE DISSOLUTION OF THEIR PRESENT STATE, AND THE COMMENCEMENT OF THAT TO COME. Learning hence-
1. Christianity, when reduced to practice, is beneficial to others as well as to our selves.
2. Christianity at a low ebb amongst us.
3. God will help those who are seeking to be what they should be (Philippians 4:13).
4. The consideration of what we should be teaches us our need of Christ in everything (Galatians 2:19, 20).
(H. Foster, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,