Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
I. THAT GOOD MEN ARE OFTEN MADE THE SUBJECT OF SOCIAL REPROACH. "John was put in prison."
1. Because the inner meaning of their lives is frequently misunderstood.
2. Because the moral beauty of their character excites the envy of the wicked.
3. Because they are often called to rebuke the wickedness of those around them.
II. THAT USEFUL MEN ARE OFTEN RENDERED INCAPABLE OF WORK THROUGH THE TYRANNY OF OTHERS.
1. The power of regal authority to hinder the labours of the morally useful is only partial.
2. It is often capable of wise explanation —
(1) It proved that the Baptist was capable of suffering as well as work;
(2) That the history of the Baptist might the more easily merge into that of our Lord;
(3) To give him rest before entering the solemnities of eternity.
3. It is deeply responsible.
III. THAT THOUGH ONE SERVANT OF TRUTH MAY BE REMOVED ANOTHER IS IMMEDIATELY FOUND TO TAKE HIS PLACE.
IV. THAT THE MINISTRY CALLED FORTH BY THE EMERGENCY IS OFTEN BETTER THAN THE ONE REMOVED.
(Joseph S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,