And the LORD God said to the woman, What is this that you have done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.…
I. ETERNAL ENMITY BETWEEN SATAN AND HUMANITY (ver. 14).
1. This curse was uttered in reference to Satan.
2. This address is different from that made to Adam and Eve.
3. There was to commence a severe enmity and conflict between Satan and the human race.
(1) This enmity has existed from the early ages of the world's history.
(2) This enmity is seeking the destruction of the higher interests of man.
(3) This enmity is inspired by the most diabolical passion.
(4) This enmity, while it will inflict injury, is subject to the ultimate conquest of man.
II. THE SORROW AND SUBJECTION OF FEMALE LIFE.
1. The sorrow of woman consequent upon the Fall.
2. The subjection of woman consequent upon the Fall.
3. The subjection of woman consequent upon the Fall gives no countenance to the degrading manner in which she is treated in heathen countries.
III. THE ANXIOUS TOIL OF MAN, AND THE COMPARATIVE UNPRODUCTIVENESS OF HIS LABOUR.
1. The anxious and painful toil of man consequent upon the Fall.
2. The comparative unproductiveness of the soil consequent upon the Fall.
3. The sad departure of man from the earth by death consequent upon the Fall.
IV. THE GRAND AND MERCIFUL INTERPOSITION OF JESUS CHRIST WAS RENDERED NECESSARY BY THE FALL. Lessons:
1. The terrible influences of sin upon an individual life.
2. The influences of sin upon the great communities of the world.
3. The severe devastation of sin.
4. The love of God the great healing influence of the world's sorrow.
5. How benignantly God blends hope with penalty.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.