And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty…
I. IT COMMENCES BY SUGGESTING A SMALL TRIBUTE TO THE SINNER. It wins us by the hope of a good investment whereby we may secure wealth, prosperity, fame. A false hope; a deceptive promise. Sin is cunning; has many counsellors; many agencies. You are no match for it.
II. IT SUCCEEDS IN GETTING THE SINNER COMPLETELY WITHIN ITS POWER.
1. Sin gets the sinner under its rule.
2. Sin makes the sinner subject to its counsel.
3. Sin makes the sinner responsible to its authority.
III. IT ULTIMATELY IMPOSES UPON THE SINNER AN INTOLERABLE SERVITUDE.
1. The servitude of a bitter life. Destroys friendly companionships, breaks up family comfort.
2. The servitude of hard work. Unprofitableness and folly of sin.
3. The servitude is degrading. Brings men from respect to derision — from plenty to beggary — from moral rulership to servitude.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them.