And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things said he which has the sharp sword with two edges;…
I. THIS CHURCH WAS FAITHFUL IN ITS ADHERENCE TO THE TRUTH.
1. It held fast the name of Christ, and reposed a sincere confidence in Him.
2. It was faithful, notwithstanding the unfavourable circumstances in which it was placed.
3. It was faithful, notwithstanding the martyrdom of one of its prominent members.
II. THIS CHURCH WAS DEFECTIVE IN THE DISCIPLINE BY WHICH IT WAS GOVERNED.
1. Defective discipline consists in allowing men of depraved conduct and unhallowed creed to enter and remain in the Church.
2. This defective discipline, unless repented of, will invite the judgment of Christ, severe and irreparable.
3. This defective discipline often mars the beauty and usefulness of an otherwise excellent Church.Lessons:
1. At all times and under all circumstances to be faithful to the truth as it is in Jesus.
2. To be anxious to sustain the Church of Christ where it is most needed brave and pure.
3. That the office-bearers in the Church should be careful as to its government.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;