And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things said the Son of God, who has his eyes like to a flame of fire…
I. THIS CHURCH HAD PREVIOUSLY BEEN OF HIGH MORAL CHARACTER.
1. Fervent in its love.
2. Faithful in its service.
3. Constant in its faith.
4. Genuine in its patience.
5. Progressive in its excellences.
II. THIS CHURCH, NOTWITHSTANDING ITS PREVIOUS HIGH MORAL CHARACTER, WAS CONTAMINATED BY DOCTRINAL ERROR THROUGH THE SEDUCTIVE INFLUENCE OF A CORRUPT WOMAN (ver. 20).
1. This Church was contaminated in doctrine by the teaching of a woman.
(1) Of wicked name. sake.
(2) Of vain pretensions.
(3) Of corrupt morality.
(4) Of seductive influence.
2. This Church, through its doctrinal error, was led into sinful practices.
3. There is a contaminating influence in doctrinal error.
III. THOSE WHO ARE INSTRUMENTAL IN LEADING A CHURCH INTO DOCTRINAL ERROR, AND ITS CONSEQUENT EVILS, ARE THREATENED WITH SEVERE RETRIBUTION (vers. 22, 23). Lessons:
1. To cultivate in Church life an increase of all Christian graces.
2. To avoid vain and impious teachers who profess the prophetic gift.
3. That women should keep silence in the Church.
4. That doctrinal heresy will lead to an awful destiny.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;