And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.
I. That private prayer SHOULD BE ENJOYED IN THE EARLY MORNING.
1. Because it insures time for the performance of prayer.
2. Because it is the time when the soul is most free from care and anxiety.
3. Because the world is silent — favourable to the voice of prayer.
4. Because it is favourable to unostentation.
5. Because it is a good husbanding of time.
II. That private prayer should be PERFORMED BY THE BUSIEST LIFE.
1. The neglect of private devotion by a busy life is injudicious.
2. The neglect of private devotion by a busy life is inexcusable.
III. Private prayer SHOULD NOT BE INTERRUPTED BY POPULARITY.
IV. Private prayer will AID AND INSPIRE IN THE CONTINUED MINISTRY OF LIFE. "And He said unto them, Let us go unto the next towns, that I may preach there also" (ver. 38).
1. Thus private prayer stimulates to continued activity in life.
2. Private prayer enables a man to awaken the moral activity of others.
V. Private prayer LEADS TO A HIGH APPRECIATION OF THE TRUE MISSION OF LIFE. Lessons:
1. That early morning is a good time for prayer.
2. That solitude is favourable to devotion.
3. That the best men need private prayer.
4. That the most busy men have no excuse for the neglect of private devotion.
5. That secret prayer is the strength of all moral life and activity.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.