And the LORD said furthermore to him, Put now your hand into your bosom. And he put his hand into his bosom: and when he took it out…
I. THAT AS LEPROSY WAS THE WORST DISEASE THAT COULD HAVE BEEN PERMITTED TO THE HAND OF MOSES, SO DOUBT OF THE DIVINE WORD IS THE MOST HURTFUL THAT CAN OVERTAKE THE HUMAN MIND.
1. Both are small in their commencements.
2. Both are progressive in their developments.
3. Both are gloomy in their forebodings.
4. Both are isolating in their tendency.
5. Both are paralysing in their influence.
6. Both are deadly in their result.
II. THAT AS LEPROSY COMES UPON MEN UNEXPECTEDLY, SO DOES DOUBT UPON THE HUMAN MIND. The germ of scepticism often remains long concealed in the human mind; its workings are subtle, and we know not what will be the extent of its future harvest.
III. THAT AS LEPROSY COULD ONLY BE REMOVED. BY THE DIVINE TOUCH, SO HUMAN DOUBT CAN ONLY BE REMOVED BY COMMUNION WITH GOD.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD said furthermore unto him, Put now thine hand into thy bosom. And he put his hand into his bosom: and when he took it out, behold, his hand was leprous as snow.