And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty…
I. SOMETIMES HIGH SOCIAL POSITION EXERTS ITS AUTHORITY FOR THE ACCOMPLISHMENT OF A WICKED AND CRUEL PURPOSE.
1. The king commands the murder of the male children of the Israelites. Diabolical massacre of innocents. Abuse and degradation of regal power.
2. He seeks to accomplish this by bringing the innocent into a participation of his murderous deed. Tyrants are generally cowards.
II. WHEN HIGH SOCIAL AUTHORITY IS USED TO FURTHER A WICKED DESIGN, WE ARE JUSTIFIED IN OPPOSING ITS EFFORT.
1. We are not to do wrong because a king commands it. To oppose murder, when advocated by a king, and when it could be accomplished unknown — or, if known, gain applause of nations — is —
(3) divinely rewardable;
(4) duty of all who fear God.
2. Such opposition must embody the true principle of piety. The midwives feared God more than they feared the king.
3. Such opposition will secure for us the Divine protection.
III. FOR SUCH OPPOSITION WE SHALL BE DIVINELY REWARDED (vers. 20, 21).
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them.