Give us this day our daily bread.
I. The MEANING.
1. The principle of dependence is developed in it.
2. The principle of moderation.
3. The principle of tenderness towards others.
II. The encouragement to go to God for the bread that perisheth.
1. It is to His Father He goes.
2. It is to the Father who gave us His Son.
III. The still HIGHER ENCOURAGEMENTS TO PRAY FOR THE BREAD ETERNAL.
1. From considering the Bread itself. Here no moderation is needed.
2. Here are absolute promises.
3. Covet larger portions of the Bread.
(J. H. Evans.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Give us this day our daily bread.