1 Chronicles 13:14
And the ark of God remained with the family of Obededom in his house three months. And the LORD blessed the house of Obededom…
The ark was a small elegant chest, which contained the two tables of the law — the Hebrew Bible — written by the finger of God. This was probably the first alphabetical writing in the world. Though the Egyptians and other heathen nations used to employ hieroglyphics, to record past events, and denote the actions and intellectual and moral qualities of men, yet they were totally ignorant of letters which compose words and sentences by their particular sounds. Obed-edom knew that the ark contained the written Word of God, and esteemed it, as David did, "better unto him than thousands of gold and silver." The subject is that God will bless those families who treat His Word with proper respect. I shall show:
I. THAT THEY OUGHT TO TREAT IT WITH PROPER RESPECT. Observe —
1. That every family ought to have the Word of God in their house.
2. Parents should read it seriously every day in their families.
3. The Bible ought to be read in a family with a view to understand it.
4. The Bible is to be read and heard in a family with a sincere desire and intention to do whatsoever God has commanded.
II. THAT IF THEY DO READ AND HEAR THE BIBLE WITH SUCH PROPER RESPECT GOD WILL BLESS THEM.
1. Because such pious families are the preservers of the Word of God.
2. Because they lay the greatest check and restraint upon every species of irreligion and impiety. No evil practices can be found in any family who daily read and love and obey the Bible.
3. God will bless pious families because they are the important instruments of promoting and transmitting pure religion from generation to generation.Improvement.
1. It is the wisdom as well as duty of every family to pay a cordial and sacred regard to the Bible.
2. Those families that neglect these duties have reason to expect the frowns of Heaven upon them.
3. If those families only are religious who pay proper respect to the Word of God, then there is ground to conclude that there are many families in this place who are not religious.
4. How important it is that heads of families should be truly religious.
5. The great criminality of irreligious children who have been religiously educated.
(N. Emmons, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the ark of God remained with the family of Obededom in his house three months. And the LORD blessed the house of Obededom, and all that he had.