And they departed there, and passed through Galilee; and he would not that any man should know it.…
I. HE EXPLAINED TO THEM HIS PRESENT STATE. He was about to be delivered by a traitorous disciple, etc.
II. HE TOLD THEM THE PARTIES INTO WHOSE POWER HE HAD BEEN GIVEN.
1. To be delivered into the hands of men, is to be put into their power — to do to Him, and with Him, as they chose.
2. They could have this power only by special permission — from the Father, and Himself.
3. It is marvellous that He should have been so delivered. God in humanity! It brought out their desperate wickedness, proved the voluntariness of His obedience, showed how blind sin is in its supposed triumphs, etc.
III. HE TOLD THEM WHAT MUST BEFALL HIM AT THE HANDS OF MEN.
1. That Christ was to die, was not now foretold for the first time, predicted, etc.
2. This death of Christ was necessary, etc.
IV. HE FURTHER REVEALED TO THEM THE FUTURE, BY TELLING THEM OF HIS RESURRECTION. The result of an agency, neither human nor satanic, but Divine; prophecy, etc., called for it. Conclusion:
1. Christ had His sufferings ever in view (Luke 12:50; John 12:27).
2. In His sufferings and resurrection He saw His people.
3. He unveiled the future to His disciples. They were contending for honour — on the brink of sufferings — understood not the warning of Christ
Parallel VersesKJV: And they departed thence, and passed through Galilee; and he would not that any man should know it.