Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.…
1. He giveth them a direction for entering into their rest; to hold fast their profession; that is, in faith and love to avow the doctrine of Christ.
(1) Then he that would enter into rest must be steadfast in maintaining and avowing the true religion of Christ.
(2) He who quitteth the profession of the truth of Christ taketh courses to cut off himself from God's rest. For if we deny Christ He will deny us.
2. He commandeth to hold fast our profession. Then —
(1) God will not be pleased with backsliding, or coldness, or indifference in matters of religion, because this is not to hold it fast; but to take a loose hold, which is the ready way to defection.
(2) There is danger lest our adversaries pull the truth from us.
(3) The more danger we foresee, the more strongly must we hold the truth.
3. The encouragement which He giveth to hold fast is, We have Christ a great High Priest, &c. Then —
(1) As we have need of threatening, to drive us to enter into God's rest, so have we need of encouragements to draw us thereunto.
(2) All our encouragement is from the help which we shall have in Christ, and that is sufficient.
(3) Christ is always for us in His office, albeit we do not always feel Him sensibly in us.
4. He calleth Christ a great High Priest, to put difference betwixt the typical high priest and Him in whom the truth of the priesthood is found. Then what the typical high priest did in show for the people, that the great High Priest doth in substance for us; that is, reconcileth us to God perfectly, blesseth us with all blessings solidly, and intercedeth for us perpetually.
5. He affirmeth of Christ, that He is passed into heaven; to wit, in regard of tits manhood, to take possession thereof in our name. Then —
(1) Christ's corporal presence is in heaven only, and not on earth, from whence He is passed.
(2) Christ's corporal presence in heaven, and absence from us in that respect, hindereth not our right unto Him, and spiritual having or possessing of Him.
(3) Yea, it is our encouragement to seek entry into heaven, that He is there before us.
6. He calleth Him Jesus the Son of God; to lead us through His humanity unto His Godhead. Then no rest on the Mediator till we go to the rock of His Godhead, where is strength and satisfaction to faith.
(D. Dickson, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.