John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there stands one among you, whom you know not;
1. As to His human nature, as one of yourselves, as He took upon Him the form of man and became the servant of men, and is among you as once He sat in the midst of the doctors in the Temple.
2. As to the Divine nature He is amongst you, for He filleth all in all, and is very nigh to every one.
3. He is among you as the Light which lighteth every man, and as the Word of Wisdom in the heart of all His people.
4. Among you as the Mediator between man and God, and seeking to draw all men to God.
5. Not as the Baptist in the desert, but in the midst of the cities of men.
6. Among you all, for the benefit of all, as the true tree of life in the midst of the garden of this world for the life and for the healing of all.
(W. Denton, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;