And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day…
I. CONSIDERATIONS WHICH RECOMMEND FAMILY WORSHIP. With respect to the Deity, it is due to Him, and it is pleasant to Him. Man is to worship his Maker in all the capacities and relations in which his Maker places him. As an individual, he offers to Him his private devotions. Communities, as such, bring to Him in public worship their gratitude and their prayers. And families living under the same roof, affected by the sins, interested in the wants, and blessed in the felicities of each other, owe a family sacrifice to the God of mercy, and Giver of their common safety and joys. Will it be said God has no need for such service? We have every reason to believe that this duty is peculiarly pleasant and acceptable to Him. It was from Abraham He resolved He would not hide anything He would do, because He knew the patriarch, that he "would command his children and his household after him, that they should keep the way of the Lord" (Genesis 18:19).
II. THE EFFECTS OF FAMILY WORSHIP UPON THE FAMILIES IN WHICH IT IS PERFORMED.
1. It is favourable to good order.
2. It is calculated to promote and preserve amity and kind offices in the family.
3. And it brings the blessings of heaven. This duty will appear still more important and beneficial, if we advert to its uses to the individuals of whom families are generally composed.
(1) With regard to the pious part of them, it affords, next to the worship of the sanctuary, the most convenient and unexceptionable opportunity for that sociality in devotion which minds seriously impressed do very naturally and strongly desire. But all the members of the family are not religious. For those who are otherwise, family prayer may have the most beneficent operation.
4. Consider its influence upon the community as a whole.
Parallel VersesKJV: And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.