For his anger endures but a moment; in his favor is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.…
I. THE DIRGE OF GRIEF — "Weeping... night." See how sorrow and night are linked. Life is this night.
1. A brief night.
2. A wild night sometimes.
3. A sorrowful night ofttimes.
4. But a night fringed with light, on this side and on that; and so the dirge has its consoling strain.
II. THE LYRIC OF DELIVERANCE. — "Joy... morning." See how gladness and light are joined together.
1. In the morning of clearer knowledge.
2. In the morning of purer character.
3. In the morning of eternity.
(R. C. Cowel.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.