The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knows them that trust in him.
The Bible abounds with the most sublime descriptions of God, and represents, in a variety of passages, His awful character and glorious perfections. On reading the description in the passage connected with the text It may appear to contain a contradiction. It may seem to represent the Almighty under two different characters. We may be ready to think that He cannot be at once "a jealous God" and "good, slow to anger." There is no real difficulty. God is in Himself the same, infinitely glorious in all perfections. The seeming differences in His character arise from the different characters of those with whom He has to deal. In this respect His character, like the cloud which accompanied Israel, has a dark side and a bright side. To His adversaries He is a "jealous God." To His people He is "rich in mercy." The description here given —
I. OF THE PEOPLE OF GOD. "They that trust in Him." Trust is often used for the whole of religion. It signifies a confidence in His power and faithfulness for protection and support, and for a supply of all things necessary to life and godliness. Things which characterise this confidence are —
1. It is habitual.
2. It is practical.
3. It is a patient and persevering trust.
4. It is a solid and well- grounded confidence.Trust in God must be founded on His promise.
II. OF THE FAVOUR OF GOD TO HIS PEOPLE.
1. "The Lord is good." God is goodness. Even His severity against sin is the effect of His goodness.
2. He is "a stronghold in the day of trouble." The Lord s people are not exempt from trouble. But if they have peculiar trials they have peculiar support under them.
3. The Lord "knoweth them that are His." He sees, distinguishes, approves. Especially has He respect to them as putting their trust in Him. He sees the humble confidence with which they repose in His truth and faithfulness. Surely blessed arc the people who make the Lord their trust.
Parallel VersesKJV: The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.