And there was no water for the congregation: and they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron.…
I. WHAT THERE WAS SINFUL IN MOSES.
1. Disobedience to the Divine command.
2. Immoderate heat and passion.
4. It was all publicly done, and so the more dishonouring to God.
II. WHAT WE MAY LEARN FROM THIS TRAGICAL STORY.
1. What a holy and jealous God He is with whom we have to do.
2. The Lord's children need not think it strange if they get abundance to exercise that grace in which they most excel.
3. Let us not be surprised to see or hear the saints failing even in the exercise of that grace wherein they most excel.
4. Never think yourselves secure from failing till ye be at the end of your race.
5. What need we have to guard constantly our unruly passions, and put a bridle on our lips.
6. Though God pardons the iniquity of His servants, yet He will take vengeance on their inventions (Psalm 99:8).
7. If God punishes His children thus for falling into the snare, how shall they escape who lay the snare for them?
8. Observe the ingenuousness of the penmen of the Holy Scripture — Moses records his own fault.
(T. Boston, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there was no water for the congregation: and they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron.