The living, the living, he shall praise you, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known your truth.
I. WHAT PRAISING GOD IS. It is the acknowledging and declaring the glorious excellencies of God, as He has manifested Himself in His word and works, and imports —
1. Belief of the Being of God.
2. The knowledge of God.
(1) Of who He is — Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, one God.
(2) Of what He is.
(3) Of what He has done.
3. The love of God. Love is the mother of praise.
4. The admiration of God, which is love and esteem raised to a high pitch.
5. Expressing that love and admiration to Him. This is twofold —
(2) Real, by actions, though not accompanied with words.
II. WHAT ARE THE PECULIARITIES OF THE PRAISES OF THE LIVING.
1. They are the praises of the whole man, in soul and body too (1 Corinthians 6:20).
2. They are praises which may spread among the living (Colossians 3:16).
3. They are praises raised by the way to the heavenly kingdom.
4. They are praises of faith, not of sight.
5. They are praises to God amidst much dishonour done to Him.
Parallel VersesKJV: The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth.