And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For your is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
I. THOSE TEMPTATIONS THAT ARE RELATED TO GOD HIMSELF.
1. Persons who are unhappy often murmur against the government of God.
2. To "withhold prayer before Him.
II. THOSE TEMPTATIONS RESPECTING MANKIND.
1. They are tempted to hate their race.
2. A determination to change their position.
3. A temptation to destroy their enemies.
III. THE TEMPTATION THAT COMES UPON 'THE UNHAPPY THEMSELVES.
1. To obtain unlawful information respecting their destiny.
2. To secure an oblivion of their wretchedness.
3. To seek to obtain relief by suicide.
I. If God, provoked thereto by our careless-hess, doth justly bring us into, or doth let us enter into temptation, we shall infallibly run into many grievous sins and mischief.
II. We continually NEED GOD'S INSTRUCTION TO GUIDE US, God's hand to uphold us, God's care to guard us.
(1) When our condition and circumstances minister dangerous occasions of sin;
(2) When the world would frown or smile us into it; or
(3) Satan thrust us toward it;
(4) Then, in such cases and seasons, God's interposal is necessary to remove those temptations, or to support and defend us from the prevalence of them.
(Isaac Barrow, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.