Therefore I say to you, Take no thought for your life, what you shall eat, or what you shall drink; nor yet for your body…
Arguments against an unquiet spirit.
1. The general course of nature is in favour of men.
2. That there is a Divine providence which employs the course of nature and gives it direction.
3. Fretting does no good, but uses up the nerve force needlessly.
4. It begets a habit of looking at the dark side of things.
5. The things we fear seldom happen.
(1) A tranquil soul is indispensably necessary to anything like a true Christian atmosphere.
(2) The chief ends of life are sacrificed to the unnecessary dust which our feet raise in the way of life.
(3) What disagreeable company we make of ourselves for God.
(4) This way of life, devoid of cheer, is bearing false witness against your Master.
Parallel VersesKJV: Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
WEB: Therefore, I tell you, don't be anxious for your life: what you will eat, or what you will drink; nor yet for your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food, and the body more than clothing?